7.17.2009

[wo]man alive

"The whole is greater than the part. And therefore, I, who am [wo]man alive, am greater than my soul, or spirit, or body, or mind, or consciousness, or anything else that is merely a part of me. I am [wo]man alive, and as long as I can, I intend to go on being [wo]man alive. For this reason I am a novelist. And being a novelist, I consider myself superior to the saint, the scientist, the philosopher, and the poet, who are all great masters of different bits of [wo]man alive, but never get the whole hog. The novel is the one bright book of life... only in the novel are all things given full play, or at least, they may be given full play, when we realize that life itself, and not inert safety, is the reason for living. For out of the full play of all things emerges the only thing that is anything, the wholeness of a man, the wholeness of a woman, man alive and live woman."

– D.H. Lawrence, from Why the Novel Matters